Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Behind The Bars Interviews Jaz The Rapper



Its Jaz and I Does This"......This Brooklyn native is no rookie when it comes to battling. She has been aware of the battle rap scene since she was 13 years old, Not battling then but this is where Jaz The Rapper knew that battling was something that she could not get enough of. Now in 2012 Jaz the Rapper is a name you want to know. Making her debut in Queen Of The Ring, Jaz put that passion of the pen in a great first battle when she battled Skye who was already accustomed to the ring. That however didn't stop Jaz as she blew minds and walked away with the win. -"Put Skye in a box, BALL GAME" (Jaz vs Skye). With great world play, punch lines and rhyme schemes we could not wait to see what else Jaz had up her sleeve. We didn't have to wait too long. Her next two match-ups, K Prophet and Chayna Ashley proved why she is on almost everyone's "top 5". Hate her or love her don't get caught sleeping on Jaz and that's Jaz with one Z, but if you do you can catch two or three and go night, night nigga. So be on the look out for Jaz as she keeps swinging the bat and knocking her competitors out the park.

Behind The Bars: Where are you from?

Jaz The Rapper: Brooklyn NY born and raised

Behind The Bars: What was your 1st battle experience?

Jaz The Rapper: it was either Lux vs Miles or Rex vs Un Kasa but i always watched battles with my cousin. We were big fans and knew the SMACK battles word for word. I kind of fell off over the years then got back into it when someone sent me footage of Conceited vs Tall T (RIP) , that's when i got back into it .

Behind The Bars: How did you get into battle rap, and who was your first battle with?

Jaz The Rapper: My boy Nino Man set me up to get on an all female guest show on Oun P's "OOhWay Radio" and all the girls flopped but me so the interview was just about me. i spit like madddd bars and Debo hit me on Twitter the same week asking me to battle. I was skeptical about it so i didn't accept his request. I was friends w. Nuborn and DNA at the time and Nuborn told me that he think i'd be good at battling but DNA was skeptical too, thinking i didn't have the image or aggression to handle the ring, which i agreed with. Few months later I gave in and told Debo i would battle. He then dropped Skye vs QB and told me i would battle Skye. I attended the Dutchess vs Ms Fit event which gave me an idea how the events were and what to expect and i really enjoyed myself. Me and Skye were originally set up to battle on this card but she backed out four days earlier and we got pushed back to the January card including Shana Konor vs StarGirl LAdy Red. So my first battle was w. Skye and well , we all know how that went.

Behind The Bars: what inspires you to Rap/battle and which crowd do you enjoy performing for more rap/battle?

Jaz The Rapper: I get inspired to rap by up and coming rappers just like me. When I hear a dope rapper and see that they're grindin and trying to be something just like me, it motivates me so much. As far as battling, honestly, just bars inspires me to battle. LOL , i love bars and when i'm in the crowd and react to bars and see how people react, I want to do the same thing. I wanna say something hot and make the crowd go crazy too so that's what inspires me to battle. I would have to say i enjoy performing songs more than battles because one doesn't expect to get crazy reaction while performing a song. If people don't react while im battling then i know i am not doing well but while performing a song i can have as much fun as i want, don't have to worry about choking, and people can just enjoy my music. But this is a very close debate.

Behind The Bars: How Does your family feel about you being a rapper/battle rapper?

Jaz The Rapper: My cousin is a huge supporter (the same cousin that i watched battles with when i was younger). Her father shows my battles to whoever comes to his house . My sister supports me but she's always nervous the day of my battles lol. My mom and dad support me also. My mom watched my battle with Skye every single day for two months so, yeah lol.

Behind The Bars: What male battle rappers style would you compare yourself with?

Jaz The Rapper: I'd say i'm like a Conceited, DNA, and X Factor ... punchlines , setups , and wit ... but if i had to choose one i'd say Conceited.

Behind The Bars: If you where asked to be in another female 2 ON 2 battle, who would you like to be your partner?

Jaz The Rapper: Jai Smoove !!! Brooklynnnnn

Behind The Bars: What bars have you heard from a female in a battle and thought to yourself, Damn why didn't I think of that?

Jaz The Rapper: there have been a few but I can't remember off top. Probably something from 40 B.A.R.R.S

Behind The Bars: Do you think the supporters/fans judge the battles fairly?

Jaz The Rapper: Everyone has their biases and preferences, i think there are some ignorant people that judge a battle off who looks better or who's more believable (which i feel should be void) but for the most part, yes i think it is a  fair criteria of how they judge. Except for when they say I lost to Chayna Ashley, i just don't get it lol j/k. (I really won though)

Behind The Bars: Who is your favorite battle rapper male & Female?

Jaz The Rapper: Chayna Ashley & Conceited

Behind The Bars: How far do you see females in battle rap going and is it in a good space right now?

Jaz The Rapper: I see females in battle rap going as far as some guys as long as they stay consistent and relevant. Female battle rap is in a GREAT space right now , my name has been said in at least 10 battle leagues outside of QOTR, Chilla Jones just did a QOTR battler scheme, DNA and Serious Jones mentioned QOTR or someone from it at Summer Madness 2. The females are definitely becoming more popular, and I hope it keeps going.

Behind The Bars: Who is in your top 5 in QOTR?

Jaz The Rapper:
1. Chayna Ashley
2. Ms Hustle
3. E Hart
4. 40 B.A.R.R.S
5. Tori Doe

Behind The Bars: How do you feel about the term Bars over Jokes?

Jaz The Rapper: 100% .. but as i say all the time, in every battle it is different. I Agree 100% only if someone has crazy bars and someone has funny jokes then I'll choose the person with the bars. But I won't pick the person w. the bars if they were trash and the other person had jokes I'll choose who I liked more.

Behind The Bars: What elements of battling are important to you?

Jaz The Rapper: BARS !!! j/k bars are MOST important to me but everything is important. When you have the total package its more reasons I can say you won. Delivery is BIG, performance, and that's pretty much it.

Behind The Bars: Alot of critics say you have bars but your performance is boring,will u be bringing something new that we haven't seen from you?

Jaz The Rapper: yea, new bars. I disagree when people say my performance is boring because i moved around, they may mean my delivery is boring. I am working on that but one always has to remember, you can't please everyone.

Behind The Bars: Alot of times fans or critics may give constructive criticism or say some harsh words how do you deal with it?

Jaz The Rapper: Constructive criticism i always listen to and take into consideration. Harsh words can also be constructive criticism but sometimes its just over the top. I either laugh or ignore it.

Behind The Bars: Qb is your next opponent your styles are very different have you come up with a strategy for her yet?

Jaz The Rapper: Yes i have come up with a strategy.  *Stevie J face*

Behind The Bars: What made you and Qb decide to battle in Url instead of Queen of the ring and how will you be repping the brand?

Jaz The Rapper: QB wanted the battle to be on URL . I'm not too big on battling there and I'd much rather it be on Queen of the Ring simply because i KNOW the battle will drop, especially in a fair amount of time, but i didn't say no because battling on URL isn't a bad thing, its very beneficial. I feel that me and QB putting on a show will propel female battle rap so much. QOTR will attain new fans and people will be more open to female battlers to see who else is big on the scene. Simply putting on a show and making history is how I will rep the brand and even make the brand bigger.

Behind The Bars: After QB who would you like to battle next? Do you have a hit list you'd like to share?

Jaz The Rapper: 40 B.A.R.R.S but after her performance vs Tori Doe, I don't know now.

Behind The Bars: Whats your craziest fan moment?

Jaz The Rapper: I have three . My first one was last year I was at my aunt's wake and I was leaving, crying and everything, and some lady comes up to me outside like I know you, I saw your battles. (I think she was drunk) and she's like can i get your autograph. I'm laughing wiping my tears like what the hell? And she pulls out her pen and I'm just confused like do i really give her an autograph? lol

my second moment was when I was at the club in Atlanta and I was on line outside. I was talking to my best friend a dude walks by and says Jaz waddup ! i look at my best friend like oh he must know me through her and i'm like whats good? he goes yo wait till I tell my cousin you're here. He starts yelling down the block "yo, D!, yo , D ! " he walks off like "i'll be right back " and then his cousin comes. It was just crazy that i got noticed all the way in ATL.

my last crazy moment was when I was at the bus stop heading to school . So some guy walks up to me and he's like yo you rap ?? and i'm like yes, and he goes yooo you're jaz the rapper ! and im laughing like yea he's like yoo thats crazy me and my cousin were just watching your battle (vs chayna ashley) we saw it on URL . And i'm like oh word? and he's like yea yo i gotta call my cousin he's in love w. you so i'm laughing it off. He really called his cousin he's like "yo guess who im lookin at right now .... jaz the rapper" so he hands me his phone and i'm like "hello?" dudes goes Jaz you are so sexy can i take you out... add me on Facebook .. let me get your # so we can text.." and so much other stuff and i'm just laughing it off but it was so crazy !

Behind The Bars: What are some of the ways you think female battle rap can improve?

Jaz The Rapper: exterminate all the wack girls, if you don't got bars just don't come, PLEASE. People already think females can't rap and they're not helping the stereotype one bit !

Behind The Bars: How important is queen of the ring in a male dominated sport?

Jaz The Rapper: Very important because if you think about it, there are at least 50 females that have gone and come in QOTR. Some of us can even compete with some of the guys and give them a run for their money. It just allows people to see that females can do what men can do and its not just one female its alot of us.

Behind The Bars: Which do you enjoy watching more sparring session or the ring?

Jaz The Rapper: I enjoy the ring battles more because lately there's been less choking and in the sparring session there is a lot of choking. Also, the girls in the ring are polished so generally, they'll have less flaws than the sparring session chicks who may have never even battled before.

Behind The Bars: How important do you think the sparring session is and how different is it from the ring?

Jaz The Rapper: Sparring session is very important because like i said before... it filters out the wack girls. It is like a try out to "hang" with the girls who already have a little name and talent. Sparring Session is different from the ring in many ways. The room that u battle in is smaller, the crowd is initimate (meaning the ring crowd is bigger), and also, the space that you have to move is limited but in the ring its a very big area you have to cover.

Behind The Bars: Besides battle rap and music what are some of your goals you would like to accomplish?

Jaz The Rapper: I would like to graduate college and meet Eminem & Travis Porter,

Behind The Bars: Are you really married to big t?

Jaz The Rapper: no. I don't like bagels.

Behind The Bars: Any shout outs?

Jaz The Rapper: shout out to everybody that supports me. shout out to Queen of the Ring for having a platform for females and i'm glad I'm part of it.






Contact Jaz the Rapper
 
 


Special thanks to Melissa Johnson and  Tanea Lighty  for all there help and the real ASC fam for all there support -@Rzilla

No comments:

Post a Comment