Monday, October 29, 2012

Behind The Bars Interviews Chayna Ashley




Behind The Bars: Where are you from?
Chayna Ashley: Most people don't know this but I'm originally from Harlem. I moved to the Bronx when I was 12. But it's BX All Day!!
Behind The Bars: What got you first interested in battle rap?
Chayna Ashley: When I saw Mook Vs Jae Millz. That was the 1st battle I saw, I loved it so much I had it on my iPod and knew every word lol.

Behind The Bars: Do you remember your first Rhyme?

Chayna Ashley: Not word for word but I remember the 1st time I wrote a rhyme. I was at my Aunts house and my cousin was rapping. I said " I wanna rap too". He handed me a pen and paper and said write. I said I didn't have anything to rap about and he replied "write about what you know". I was like 7 so it was probably about toys and school lol.

Behind The Bars: How would you describe your style of rhyming?

Chayna Ashley: Unique in a way. I'm very laid back but very dominating whether its in the ring or the booth.

Behind The Bars: Where did the "Female biggie" name come from?

Chayna Ashley: Lol honestly I don't know. The 1st time I heard it was after I battled Phara and it stuck ever since. I think it's a combination of my size and my skill. Cuz if I was skinny they wouldn't make the comparison. But if I was wack they wouldn't either, so I'm honored to be compared to the great B.I.G.

Behind The Bars: Why do you think people always assume when a female rapper is nice that someone wrote it for them?

Chayna Ashley: To be honest I don't even comprehend a thought like that. It's 2012. If this was back in the day I could understand, but now a days females are just as nice or nicer than a lot guys. But don't get it twisted some chicks do get assisted with the pen. I'm proud to say I'm not one of them lol.

Behind The Bars: How do you feel about some battlers digging for personals as opposed to just having "universal" bars?

Chayna Ashley: My opinion-Personals are Corny. They take away from what real rhyming is. I don't discredit anybody though, some people actual win Rounds & Battles from personals, but it's something I can't do.

Behind The Bars: Is it harder writing for a battle or for a song for you?

Chayna Ashley: Both. I'm a very anal writer. If I don't feel like the line was hot (Battle or song) or it could be better, I take my time to perfect it. And I do that line by line until I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Behind The Bars: Do you enjoy writing and performing songs, or battling more?

Chayna Ashley: I enjoy them equally.

Behind The Bars: How does your family feel about you battling?

Chayna Ashley: They love it! My cousins are my biggest Fans! They're proud and I love making them proud.

Behind The Bars: Your in alot of peoples top 5 does that put pressure on you? How do you deal with it?

Chayna Ashley: Not so much as pressure, but responsibility. I feel I have an obligation to my fans to not disappoint so I try to get better and keep improving.

Behind The Bars: Who is your favorite battle rapper male & Female?

Chayna Ashley: I wanna say Rex or K(shine) for my male favorite but people gonna call me bias lmao. So imma say Surf. My favorite female right now is 40.

Behind The Bars: If you could battle any male battler who would it be?

Chayna Ashley: Surf or X- Factor

Behind The Bars: Who is your favorite rapper?

Chayna Ashley: Eminem

Behind The Bars: Who is in your top 5 in QOTR?

Chayna Ashley: that's a tuff question but off jump I would say 
1. E Hart 
2. 40 Barrs
3. Jaz The Rapper
4. Phara Funeral 
5. QB or Tori

Behind The Bars: How do you feel about gun bars/schemes? Alot of people say that they aren't creative and your known to talk about guns.

Chayna Ashley: it's middle finger to whoever say that lol. Naw, I can see where their coming from but it's not as easy as everyone thinks. The hottest bars in battles be gun play, n there's a reason for that. It shows just as much creativity as other punchlines it's justice more commonly done.

Behind The Bars: What elements of battling are important to you?

Chayna Ashley: Bars!!! That's all that matters.

Behind The Bars: Do you consider yourself a vet?

Chayna Ashley: I guess. I feel like we haven't been doing this long enough to be considered Vets though. 5-10 years from now, most def. For now I'm just trying to make sure my name is forever mentioned in female battle rap history.

Behind The Bars: What are some of your goals inside and outside of the ring?

Chayna Ashley: My main goal in the ring is to be the best. Point Blank Period. Outside of the ring, my plan is to be successful. Whether that's with my music or my Career.

Behind The Bars: How important is Queen of the ring and what does it mean to you?

Chayna Ashley: QOTR is very important. Not only to me, and the dozens of other girls that battle. But to the fans. QOTR gave something that was never even thought about or taken serious. QOTR means endless possibilities for female rap culture.

Behind The Bars: Whats your craziest fan moment?

Chayna Ashley: lol I have so many. My craziest moment would have to be when I was in Baltimore waiting for my bus to get back home and this girl comes flying towards me. She's like "I'm so sorry but are you Chayna, Chayna Ashley?" I'm like yea and she stars screaming and everybody turns and look. She's like "OH MY GOD I LOVE U SOOOO MUCH. CAN I PLEASE GET YOUR AUTOGRAPH?!!!" As I gave it to her she was so excited and gave me the bear hug. The whole bus stop was looking at me lmao. That was my craziest and favorite fan moment.

Behind The Bars: What are some of the ways you think female battle rap can improve?

Chayna Ashley: the best and only way for us to grow is to just keep grinding and keep getting better. Elevate this until EVERYBODY knows who we are.

Behind The Bars: Tell us one thing that no one would know about you.

Chayna Ashley: I used to go by another name n I'm taking it to the grave lmao

Behind The Bars: Chayna Ashley Vs. Jaz The Rapper has to be one of the most debatable battles in Qotr Who do you think won?

Chayna Ashley: lmao every time me or somebody says I won ALL Hell breaks loose but I'm going wit C-Ash for the win. F*** whoever thinks otherwise lmao jk

Behind The Bars: What made you join DotMob knowing they are arguably the most hated group in battle rap?

Chayna Ashley: Niggas hate on the best. Say what you want but DotMob ain't to b messed wit. Our Roster Crazii an the talent is ridiculous. But beside from that lol I joined cuz i looked up to Rex. I watched him and Mook growing up. It wasn't an easy decision to make though. I asked close ones and most of them said don't do it. But I know i made the right choice. DOTMOBBITCH

Behind The Bars: Do you spar with Rex,Mook,Tay rock.?

Chayna Ashley: Naw these niggas be spitting for days I'm getting my weight up lmao

Behind The Bars: Are there any plans for a all Female Dot mob crew in Qotr?

Chayna Ashley: lmao might as well right? But naw, we don't gotta make a crew, they just know who's running shit lmao

Behind The Bars: Your next opponent is Ms Fit at Panic Room 2, how did that come about? i know you had some words for her in your battle with Jaz.

Chayna Ashley: Me n Fit was suppose to been battle. Even before I battled Jaz. I was the one that told Debo I wanted to kill her. She had different plans and battled E Hart instead. But we here now..

Behind The Bars: With an on going feud between Cortez (murda ave) and T-rex (dot mob) does that put more pressure on this battle for you?

Chayna Ashley: Naw but it will make the victory even sweeter.

Behind The Bars: Do you want to speak on the situation on why you and Ms. Hustle Battle was cancelled?

Chayna Ashley: She backed out.

Behind The Bars: If the opportunity presented it self for you to battle Ms. Hustle again would you?

Chayna Ashley: Honestly I don't know. *shrugs*

Behind The Bars: I notice you attend alot of sparring sessions how important do you think having a sparring session is.?

Chayna Ashley: I think it helps filter the best from the worst. It also gives some ladies the chance to grow and get ready for the ring. I love the sparring session!

Behind The Bars: Do you see anyone in sparring session coming up that has potential?

Chayna Ashley: yea a couple of em been getting crazy. I even told Jai Smoove I had to kill her lol. I see her, Hazzy, Tash and Pak get better every battle so I'm anxious to see them in the ring.

Behind The Bars: Jai Smoove in our last interview said "Chayna will get the problem she is asking for though, in due time." referring to you saying you was going to kill her.. any words for Jai SMoove?

Chayna Ashley: U betta chill *drops mic* lol
Behind The Bars: Who is on your hit list?
Chayna Ashley: To keep it a 100 EVERYBODY. I have people that I want to kill immediately. But after that I'm battling everybody
Behind The Bars: Any shout outs?
Chayna Ashley: (all caps ) SHOUT OUT DOTMOB, QOTR, MY FANS MY HATERS AND THE SUPPORTERS. AND TO RZILLA FOR DOING THIS!
Stay Tuned....


Contact Chayna Ashley
    








Special thanks to Melissa Johnson and  Tanea Lighty  for all there help and the real ASC fam for all there support -@Rzilla

No comments:

Post a Comment